We are working hard to bring you the best productions we can, but cannot always do it alone. Although there may not be an ongoing Indiegogo campaign, your support is always appreciated and gratefully accepted.
The Fools & Kings Project is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions for charitable purposes of The Fools & Kings Project must be made payable to Fractured Atlas only and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
We are also happy to accept donations directly, but please keep in mind that any donations that are received by means other than the provided Fractured Atlas link will NOT be tax deductible.
The Fools & Kings Project is pleased to announce that we are now accepting submissions for our fall production, "Richard the Third". Calvin Atkinson, Director; Michael Hagins, Fight Director; Melissa Meli and Vanessa Wendt, Producers.
Rehearsals will begin in August. Performances begin September 6th and will be Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through September 22nd at Riverbank State Park and Summit Rock
Seeking a diverse cast of 13 actors with a strong handle of Shakespearean text for this production of Richard the Third, presented in a modern setting. Actors of color are particularly encouraged to apply and will be considered for all roles.
Seeking all ethnicities for the following roles:
- Richard (m, late 20s) – Our tragic antihero: crafty, charming, with a physical disability. At once sympathetic and abhorrent to the audience. Unendingly versatile and adaptive.
- Queen Elizabeth (f, 30s) – Cares for her children, but definitely takes advantage of her position. Able to go toe-to-toe with Richard, but perhaps less politically effective than she puts on.
- Duke of Buckingham (m/f, 20s-30s) – Richard’s confidante for most of the play. Aids and abets Richard’s shady dealings, but has a limit that is reached in the end.
- Queen Margaret (f, 20s-40s) – The deposed queen that blurs the line of the supernatural. Vitriolic, intense, a complete outsider to the standing royal family.
- Duchess of York (f, 40s+) – Richard’s mother, her political clout has basically expired, but she still carries some respect in royal settings. Cares about her grandchildren.
- Lady Anne (f, 20s) – Richard’s wife-to-be. Passionate and vulnerable, she is reduced to a political chess piece that is easily discarded.
- Lord Hastings (20s-30s) – Somewhat jovial figure who has been recently pardoned by the king’s family. Close to Richard, but aloof to the depth of his treachery.
- Lord Stanley (m/f, 20s-30s) – Has a young son who he protects at all costs. Makes a moral switch away from Richard’s side.
- Lady Catesby (f, 20s-30s) – Richard’s loyal ally throughout the play
- Richard Ratcliffe (m, 20s-30s) – Another key player on Richard’s side.
- Duke of Clarence (m, 20s-30s) – Richard and Edward’s brother. Condemned to death due to Richard’s plots, Clarence is none the wiser.
- Countess of Richmond (f, 20s) – Young upstart with the support of the people. A skilled fighter, and hope of England’s future.
- Marquess of Dorset (m, late teens) – SEEKING 18+ ONLY to play younger. Queen Elizabeth’s son from her previous marriage. Perhaps in over his head, he’s been granted political power. Loyal to his mother above all.
**Most actors will also double other roles.
**This is a non-union production. Small stipend.
Auditions will be held by appointment only on Thursday, July 18th from 5:00pm – 10:00pm in mid Manhattan. Callbacks will be Sunday, July 21st from 9:30am – 1:30pm in mid Manhattan.
Please send headshot and resumes via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 12th.
Late submissions will NOT be considered.
**Please note that if you have already submitted through Backstage or Playbill for this production, you do NOT need to send us your headshot and resume again**
Behind the Scenes
With the entire Shakespearean canon to produce, we are going to need all sorts of behind-the-scenes help! If you are interested in directing, stage managing, or helping with props, costumes, marketing, etc, please let us know! You can reach us at email@example.com or subscribe to our mailing list for announcements about upcoming shows and opportunities.